Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Todays outfit- Leopard pants

Oh, these pants make me so, so happy. I paid 50 cents for them, they fit exquisitely, and the pattern is good for my shape- or, lack thereof.


I tucked in a black shirt that was a black dress before I realized I look like a lollipop in the skinny black dress and need to stick to outfits that flatter my proportions more. I may un-tuck this at some point. Maybe.


The necklace is something I made myself with supplies from the craft store. Took about 2 minutes. Theres really no excuse for not making your own jewelry nowadays- they make it so easy!! Just buy stuff and try it! I'm NOT crafty- artsy, but not crafty and I can do this, so you can too.

I try to go by the law of "dress for you you want to be, not who you are", so, today, I'm dressing like a successful artist and writer. I do have my art class tonight, so, I'm getting closer.

I decided after years of hemming and hawing to take a college level drawing class. I took art all through high school and planned to go to Fashion Institute of Design and Mechandising in San Francisco once I graduated. My parents, however, wanted me to go to 2 years of Christian college to get my bearing, and I agreed to give it a chance. The college I went to didn't have art. So, my other love took the focus there- I was a voice major.

I ended up dropping out after getting married in 1997 and got a real job and put all my dreams in the backseat to what I thought was just real life. After having my kids, though, I've started remembering that I'm an artist. And I have some real actual talent. I started painting and doing some pencil portraits here and there for money, but my stuff is....well, just ok. I get lots of accolades for what I do, but I know it all lacks a sense of skill due to my lack of training.

So, here I am, going back to school- starting with good old Elementary Drawing and Composition at the local community college. I'm so excited to get some real criticism, and I get the feeling the professor will challenge me despite the elementary nature of the class. You get what you put into things, I believe.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I am turning 30 this year, and I decided to go back to school last year to work on a PhD. I feel so old in all my classes, but it's totally worth it to be able to move towards my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is really so amazing. You will have to show us your stuff :)

    ReplyDelete