Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Instead of doing my laundry....

I decided to give my old favorite dress a try. I haven't been able to get it on since before my first baby, Wyatt (now 8 1/2) was born, though I wear the same size as I did before. This has something to do with joints softening during pregnancy thus actually changing your structure a bit. This dress has always been snug through the torso, as it should be, but since my body has changed I have not been able to get the zipper up past one particular seam. This is when most people give up and get rid of the garment.

Well, not me. I paid about $50 for this dress at a vintage store in San Francisco the summer before my senior year in high school. (this would be the summer of '94) I remember how much I loved it and how much I wore it in the next years. It's real actual vintage- supposedly from the 40's. It was my go-to dress for everything you could wear heels to.

So, while I was...uh...folding laundry, being very productive of course, I opened the linen closet and saw this crumpled up on the top shelf along with other sentimental things. I took it down, slipped it on, and decided I was getting it on no matter what.

Well...for the first time this decade- I got the zipper up! I think it was more bravery than any bodily changes on my part. I hadn't wanted to force it lest I break the zipper or tear the fragile fabric of this beauty. I just grabbed and popped the zipper past that one seam at the waist, wedging it under my now wider ribcage.


The waist is under a bit of stress- but it's not terribly uncomfortable. My middle is delightfully squishy, so, no internal organs were harmed in this little stunt. I noticed the only sign of wear of damage is a snag in the fabric- perhaps due to some pulling on my part? (laughs sheepishly)


I added a belt for the first time ever- and I like the results.


The fabric is nearly sheer- slightly rough, but drapes wonderfully (especially if its not wrinkled, as it is here-I'll have to amend that) And the cut is just awesome. I love the peplum, I love the length, the neckline.


Oh, my wonderful dress. I don't care that the waist is a tad bit tight- I'm wearing it. A lot.

1 comment: