Sunday, July 19, 2009

Re-fashioning a favorite

I live in the mountains, like I've said- and there's a lot of long skirts, t-shirts and Birkenstocks. I dig that.

So, as you can imagine, I own several long, flow-y hippie skirts. But, I'm moving away from them.

I became obsessed with all things south-east Asian when my husband went to Cambodia a few years back. He brought back some fabulous jewelry and some woven scarves. I went on the hunt for anything from Cambodia, Thailand or Vietnam. I stumbles upon a great store in Nevada City (California) that sells such imports.

I have two skirts made from vintage Hmong fabric, but they are so long and heavy, they tend to look a tad frumpy. So, my brain began to perk.

I started with my first one- a blue one with a wonderful batik, and embellished with crazy florescent yarn. This was the result.


Eh...I think this is one of those "what NOT to do" things. It just doesn't work. The skirt is too heavy for this. I'll have to keep thinking about how to make this one work. Maybe long hippie skirts will be cool soon.

Next is my favorite- the green one! This has fantastic cross stitch on it that looks so cool against the muted green. And I love the way they pieced all of it together.


I started first with just tying it on. I thought the tier-ing might be enough to look good. Then I through on my trusty jean jacket. Not too bad.

Heres the thing. I've had three kids...so, I'm very phobic about anything resembling maternity clothes. I sort of think this look says "I'm about 4 months along."


Yuck.

Belt? YES! I tried on a few, but keep coming back to this great thrifted one that *may* be vintage, I'm just not sure.


Why is it my cute pictures are always blurry? Ugh.



Oh no...this post made me go on eBay and check out more...now I think I want this one:
eBay Auction

No comments:

Post a Comment