Sunday, July 12, 2009

A beauty, re-made so I can actually wear it.

I found this dress somewhere in one of the Vintage shops in San Francisco- probably in 1994? I was immediately attracted to its colors- navy and red. And loved the skirt and its perfect white cuffs. I bought it for $35, and was crushed to find I couldn't fit into it once I tried it on at home. My arms barely went into the sleeves, and it was hard to button the neck up.
So, I kept it on a hanger, in my closet. For all these years.
Three days ago I decided I was going to do something about this forgotten dress. No, not sell it. I could have- and let some super tiny person wear in all it's glory.
I cut it. I just chopped the arms off- and cut out the collar.

I was nervous, but I tried it on to see how much damage I'd done. I was surprised to find the dress was still adorable and that now, it actually fit!



So, I turned the raw edges, and sewed them- crudely, but done, nonetheless. Then I decided to add some buttons- not the original red ones, but a mix of white ones a friend helped me decide on.



I added a wide vintage belt- the tag says Neiman Marcus, "100% Natural Straw, Made in Italy". Its the first time I've ever worn the belt, as well as my Frankensteined dress. On the feet of course are my Born's...making my feet super happy.



Not bad- we were on the way to a brewery for a drink, then a barbecue after.

I wore thrifted gypsy earrings, and my pendant that's made from an antique spoon (bought at an Art fair).

No comments:

Post a Comment