Thursday, July 9, 2009

Good Lord, Carolyn, ANOTHER Blog? What the-


I can't deny it anymore. I love clothes.

I wanted to be in the fashion industry once, but wrote it off as a despicable business, contributing to the oppression of women. Or something like that.

I got married, had kids, and immersed myself in simple living, natural parenting, etc. All wonderfully furfilling things.

But this part of me keeps creeping back in...I love clothes. I love vintage clothes. I love thrift stores. I love belts and lipstick and Betty Page and the 40's and the 70's....

Is something wrong with me? I know better than to think your outward appearance has anything to do with your soul.

Or does it?

I live in the mountains. It's a rural town at the end of the road outside the Sacramento area. Nobody gives a crap what you wear here. If you have teeth, you are classy.

I'm a mother of 3, and I've been all over the map as far as my self image. I know who I am- I'm not 16 anymore. I can't wear a bikini- I CAN'T, not because it's not appropriate, it's just not pretty anymore. But I'm not dead.

Living simple and having limited funding for anything but food and utilities has forced me to be creative with what I wear once again. After getting married, I sort of put away the need to look cool, and just bought fun stuff at the mall or at Target.

My tiny town recently opened a Thrift Store that is...well, honestly as grimy and smelly as you would expect a rural Thrift Store to be. But, I'm not proud, and the possibility of finding and entire outfit for under a dollar is an exciting challenge that I've continually met.

My friends think I'm crazy, yet have to admit, I find some awesome things in my rummaging. I don't feel bad bragging about a new dress and belt I purchased with the change I found under the seat of my crappy minivan.

I'm going to show you what I find. I believe I'm on to something. I'm going to put myself out there and say it- I think I've got style. And I'll show you how I do it.

I'll take a picture when I try orange lipstick. I sometimes cut my own hair. You'll see. I have way too much fun with all this stuff.

Now, not everything I wear is used or even cheap- for example. I buy good shoes, generally. I'm too old to fake comfort in terrible soles. Also, I don't live in Manhatthan, so, most of my outfits have to accomodate a day of raking, chasing chickens and going to the park.

I think you'll enjoy seeing the outfits I come up with- God knows I do.

2 comments:

  1. aaahh that´s a great first post.
    I too love clothes, and I don´t really care whether that´s a superficial passion or not. For me, it is not, it is about composition and expression. But even if it was shallow...Couldn´t care less... :)

    I totally agree with you. I am all for cheap clothes (and when I say cheap I do mean cheap) but when it comes to shoes, I rather have quality and comfort....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!

    After several years of self-righteous denial of my love for fashion, I'm excited about this blog. I hope to give myself some inspiration and maybe inspire other rural moms to take some chances!!

    ReplyDelete